FAQ category: SPAM
How do I stop spam?
Spam is a common problem which all email users suffer from.
Firstly, it is advisable against having a catch-all email address. Anyone can pretend to send out emails from anything@yourdomain. If you've got a catch-all and some hundred messages sent by spammers bounce, you will receive all the bouncebacks.
Here are some other general counter measures:
- Never place a machine-readable email link on your site, inluding "mailto:" links.
Spammers use spambots to crawl thousands of websites looking for addresses.
- Use obfuscation for your email address. You can put an image instead of the @ sign, or your whole address can be an image.
- Be reluctant to give out your email
- Use webmail.aql.com's filter facilities to create your own deletion/spam handling rules.
- Make use of your email software's filters. Such mail clients like Thunderbird have self-training adaptive filters which learn to meet your personal needs.
- Use google to find more information - there are some good articles out there.
More help available from technicians via our online support system.
Back to list of faq categories